Our trailer

Our trailer

Monday, August 17, 2015

Absorption fridge issues

We are pretty proud of our Ultr lite, 3 season Ameri-lite in that in 5 seasons it hasn't given us a lick of trouble. This last trip the fridge went wonky and we lost a lot of expensive food.

My first thought was that we over loaded it, so we ran for ice and put some stuff in the cooler. (20+ mile RT) Even reducing the load and having better circulation didn't help, the fridge stayed in the 50's.

Last week I restarted the fridge empty while the trailer was in storage. I expected that the fridge would be at normal temperature because I felt we overloaded it. Unfortunately it was reading 56* a day later and I was starting to wonder if this would be our first major issue with the Ameri-lite.

One thing I noticed while out there was the thermistor (sensor) had come out of its holder and was not on the fins where is should be. You would think that this would make the fridge not sense the cold of the fins and run constantly. Instead it was causing it to short cycle and run warm. I put the thermistor back where it belong and ran the fridge for one more day before I started looking for the problem and solution.

Today I went out armed with meters and tools to check the thermistor, clean out the burner assembly and anything else I thought might be the issue. Wouldn't you know it, the fridge is running at a nice 35* now that the sensor is back in place.

All I can assume is the trails were pretty rough this trip and that's how the thermistor got knocked out of its holder.

Thanks for looking

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment